Tuesday, July 8, 2008

First Post

Sabaidee y'all!

I am a middle aged, middle class Laotian American living in Texas. I started this in hopes of sharing my everyday views on life as I try to learn more about where I came from. I moved to the US when I was 4 and got immersed into the American life and culture quickly, to the point of forgetting some of the Lao language and customs.

I married an American girl from Texas with European roots and we now have 3 kids, my "half and half's" as I call them. I have a desire to try to teach my kids the values that I grew up with and to also teach them the cultures of where their parents came from: Laotian, Norwegian and Icelandic.

In reasearching more on Laos, there are a few blogs that have inspired me. My family for starters. I have 9 brothers and sisters and my mother (my father passed away a few years ago). They have kept my language skills and passion for Lao cuisine from disappearing. Vienne's Lao Cook, Darly, Lao Ocean Girl and Nye have also inspired me to dig deeper into learning more about Laos.

My posts will mainly consist of my love for my family, my wife and kids, food and American Football. I hope you enjoy and if not, that's OK with me too.

Jack


1 comment:

DL said...

Nice to meet you Jack. The story of your life mirrored mine. Well, the difference is my wife is Vietnamese and we only have 2 kids. I live here...where else, North Dallas.